OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

jet overdrive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rapidchaser

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: jet overdrive Reply with quote

Confused Ok Guys I really need to know; Has anyone ever heard of an overdrive in a jet boat??
By the way thanks for all the feed back on river reading.

Gator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Nash had one in there American, I don't know if Hudson did or not. In all seriousness I have never heard of an overdrive in a boat. If you did have one you would only be loosing speed and horse power. The primary design of one is to provide lower rpms for a vehicle that has little or no resistance when it is running such as a car running on flat ground with no perceivable load. There is to much drag from the water on a boat.
MidwetJetSprint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of like using a Power glide trans I have seen Lenco 2 speed trans in Drag Jet Boats but thats a who nother story Big HP
Rapidchaser

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: overdrive Reply with quote

Hey thanks a million guys. I bought this boat , it is a 23 footer.
I bought it from the Man who manufactured it (Les) He said it had an overdrive which keeps the rpm down around 25-2800 .

Its just that this is the first I ever heard of such a thing. The engine is a 460cid. and I'm hoping I will be able to do at least 30mph.

Is that expecting too much? It is a big aluminum boat and seems to be very well made. The guys been building them for over 30 years. Boy! do I hope I didn't make a mistake.

A race boat she is not!! but I hope to spend a little time on the rivers and lakes with my family and do a little fishing (before I cash in) Wink

I really appreciate the come backs from you people it is very kind and most helpful.

Cavefish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen underdrives used, the thought being that the pump would be more efficient if it was turned slower than the motor up there at 7200. I do not know if it worked out.
Gator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chaser, I had a friend with a 20 ft North River and a 350 Chev with pump and he would do 50, but cruised at 30. Another friend had a 22 North River Scout ( open hull no front window) with a Yamaha 200 ob jet and would do about 40 so I don't think you will have any problems. I have a 18 North River with a 115/80 merc jet and at sea level I will do 31 on gps and at 5200 ft with 700 lbs of people I can still do 27 and that is with out changing the jets in my carbs. My boat weighs in at 1175 dry weight. Good luck and enjoy, I know I enjoy mine. There is one thing though that you might want for your boat. I got my wife to pay for mine. Sorry she is one of a kind.

Gator
Rapidchaser

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: overdrive Reply with quote

Mr. Gator (heavy on the Mr. Wink ) I heard through the grapevine,
that Brian Clement started using these overdrives with a lot of success for the heavier boats so I'm going to do a little research.

Ive also been told that It's no big deal to take it out. Just unbolt, slide the engine back and re-bolt. As far as the wife goes (mine) I've been payin her for almost 46 years, I figure she owes me at least the price of the boat.

But I ain't holdin my breath till I collect lol Rolling Eyes
Thanks for the info guys. Cheers,
Emery

Gator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my wife for 38 years this may, and we have a pretty good deal worked out. I pay for her toys, dolls, beanie bears n such and she pays for my toys such as guns, boats, broncos etc. I think so far I am ahead. Looks like we have a couple of keepers. Laughing Let us know how the over drive works

Gator
Aluminum Squirt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To piggyback on what Cavefish said, yes, that's the idea. Get a prostock style motor spinning 7-8,000 RPM's and underdrive it so you can spin a regular A (I guess a A cut is the most hydrodynamically efficient imp, or something like that????) cut impeller. There was a pretty lengthy conversation over on the Hotboat forum about this. Some of it was useful, most of it was the regular Hotboat board drama. Anyway, I digress. The bottom line is that its not common but there are a few drag guys that have made it work. Now a 2 speed powerglide would be an interesting idea, at least for a play boat-Aluminum Squirt
slowpoke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding speed. My buddy has a 23' hardtop Heliarc (did Rob C. help on these hulls?) with a stock 502EFI and a Hamilton 212 and he does 50 mph according to GPS.
Rapidchaser

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys and thanks,
I did a little research and one of the things I found was that the 460 industrial marine engine, has the same torque at 25-2800 as it does at the 35- 4000 rpm range.

The difference being that with the overdrive, it is more economical fuel wise and will still do around 30 mph.
Now if I can take my source correctly, I will be more than happy with that speed (especially if I hit one of those things that seem to grow and move around in the rivers Wink

I'm hoping to put a lot of hours on her this summer, maybe get a few miles out of it too Very Happy

worst case scenario I can take the overdrive out and buy a cheep refinery somewhere Laughing

Cheers to all!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: