OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING
ALUMINUM BOAT FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Far up the Red Deer River

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeSpike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: How Far up the Red Deer River Reply with quote

Just did a river raft trip near Sundre with the sons. Been wondering how far up the Red Deer River can you get with a jet boat and if you can get past a few spots that look tough. One in particular is a narrow spot with a very big rock dead center with just enough room on either side for a wide boat, but steep.

If you have any pics or videos that would be great.

The question is related to the fact that I have been looking for a 24' used jet boat for a while - trying to determine what will work for me and what they are capable of in Alberta.
Rapid Transit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 24 ft boat on the top end of the red deer would be like parking your ken worth in the walmart parking lot at christmas time........ not that it can't be done, but it would be a challenge for a first timer
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As was stated it probably depends more on your skill and confidence than anything. You can go from Dixon Dam all the way till its no longer legal due to the national park.

Certainly there are some challenging parts between Sundre and Mountaire Lodge but its doable. We did this run in a few 17's about a month ago and are planning to again soon Its a great exciting run with great scenery as you know.

I took full video of it but havent processed it yet. I did not take many pictures at all.

Why a 24' boat if you dont mind me asking? Thats certainly on the upper end of the scale for a riverboat.

MikeSpike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tryed a 20ft and it seems a little small for what I / we wanted.
I have two sons that like to fish, plus my nephew (single mother raising him) that I take along. My brother and his son would probably want to join us a lot as well. Yeah it sounds like a whole crew.

Also like to go hunting. Add a moose and equipment and 20ft is limited.

Also like the idea of sleeping bags right on the boat with the full canopy- no need for a tent and dealing with cots or wet ground - quick to move locations.

And lastly, I dislike stepping on feet or equipment or moving stuff around to get soom room or tripping on stuff in the middle of the boat. Kids need a lot of help when fishing and that means me moving around.

Anything wrong with how I thinking?? Feedback is good.
Xerophobic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong if its what YOU want! haha

How wide was the 20 footer you were in? Beam makes a big difference. Im just thinking I probably woldnt take a 24 in alot of places I would chance with a 20 for example. Mind you from the sounds of it you'd have lots of people with you to help push hahaha

Rapid Transit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike.... I don't know where you are from, and what waters that are close to you to use, but if you buy that boat you need deep rivers, lakes or ocean. That is what it will take to enjoy that boat. Its big, you need big !
If you want to pack that big of a crew every time then you need big, but you won't enjoy skinny little rivers, when you get stuck you will need more than a passel of kids to push. Save your money on beefing the boat bottom and stay in the deep, or add the money for the bottom to the price of the boat and get one that fits the size of water you want to use. Tell the bro to buy one of his own and go with you, its more fun with two anyway. Don't get me wrong, each person is different , but look around and ask your self why doesn't everyone have a 24 fter
MikeSpike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I in Spruce Grove area-near Edmonton.

I want to go up the Red Deer, North Saskatchewan, Athabasca and other local rivers. Also I like salmon fishing so the Fraser and Skeena rivers.

Will probably do a lot of lake fishing as well. I can only afford one boat and am trying to fill all my possible uses as best as possible, without too much compromises. I know a river jetboat is not the best for lakes but the reverse is not possible.

Perhaps I need to visit a few local jetboat builders/dealers.
joker66

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Boat size Reply with quote

When it comes to jetboating there is one unfortunate fact I have come to realize...there is no one boat that will do it all! You need to decide where you will be jetboating the most and what type of boating you enjoy the most and buy the best suited boat for that application. Realistically speaking if you are interested in running the upper red deer as mentioned first question is how fast and how many people. Then the decision becomes a fast and light sport hull or a wide beemed utility hull...still wouldn't go over 19 for skinny water but thats just my two bits.
shallow draft

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can just about be garranteed that if you take your first boat [a 24 footer] up the upper Red Deer your next trip will be to Outlaw to get about 5K in bottom repairs done and maybe even a pump replaced .
Be sure to take a video for that trip as you likely won't do it twice

MikeSpike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input/advice.
Ok - Based on the advice received, I will not try the upper Red Deer - If I buy the boat I am looking into.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OUTLAW EAGLE MANUFACTURING Forum Index -> OE GENERAL FORUM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: